The Black Cat Alley is Milwaukee’s favorite outdoor arts destination, located in a private alley on the East Side.
The Black Cat Alley is a neighborhood anchor project sponsored by the East Side BID (Business Improvement District) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This project was the brainchild of local citizens. Thanks to Wallpapered City and an ever-growing team of volunteers, the neighborhood BID was able to summon the resources needed to imagine, fund and install this well-loved Milwaukee arts destination in only three years.
In 2016, its first year, the neighborhood took an alley located on private land and successfully installed 14 murals by 16 artists in a one-block space. The Black Cat Alley is visited by over 15,000 people per year, and is among the top ten tourist destinations in the city. The future is bright for the Black Cat Alley as we look to even larger installations in 2019 and beyond.
- Installation of over 25 works of original art on view for the public
- High levels of volunteerism
- Successful fund-raising of over $120,000 plus approx $10,000 in in-kind donations to date
- 20+ corporate sponsors including Northwestern Mutual, Educator’s Credit Union, Colectivo, the Milwaukee Arts Board, and more
- News coverage by Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, The Shepherd Express, The Milwaukee Record, OnMilwaukee.com, The Milwaukee Independent, WUWM news radio, 88.9 Radio Milwaukee “Community Stories,” Wisconsin Public Radio (Madison), Wisconsin MPTV documentary, CBS 58 (TV news), Fox 6 (TV news), TMJ4 (TV news), others
- Thousands of Facebook and Instagram followers
- Fun facts: At least 8 couples have had wedding pictures taken there, and we are aware of 7 music videos. Every spring, dozens of senior pictures are snapped in the alley. The thousands of selfies have led people to proclaim that BCA is “the most photographed location in the city”!
- OnMilwaukee made a series of “locamoji” (Milwaukee-themed emojis like beer, the bronze Fonz, etc) and our giant frog was given its own symbol!
An invitation to Artists: Join the Milwaukee street art movement